Vaccinations!
So this is a topic I find so important to address, it is one issue I feel strongly enough that i can openly discuss it with others! For those who don't have children I am not sure if this topic has much importance. For myself and others who do have children the choice to have our children vaccinated falls into our laps.
It wasn't until last semester in my microbiology class did this topic really hit home for me. I actually had the opportunity to learn about the viruses and diseases that can be prevented with a vaccination. Do all vaccinations work at all times for every person ? I imagine the answer is no! But if a vaccination can prevent disease for the majority of people, that is good enough for me! The reason that diseases like polio and small pox are non existent in this country is due to vaccinations! These sicknesses where epidemics and was untreatable for a long time! But there is a good chance that these diseases could return if the population continues to boycott vaccinating there children. The innocent children! These children don't have a choice!
So the largest argument I hear about why individuals are choosing to bypass vaccinations for there little ones is the rumor that vaccinations can cause autism in children. Which after extensive research I have found that there is no proof that vaccinations cause autism. It is suggested , but i believe to be completely untrue. I am not saying that i am okay with my son getting autism if it could be prevented but i would rather he have autism which is treatable then bury him knowing i could have prevented it. It sounds extreme but if people really researched and read the benefits that come along with vaccinating it out weighs the negatives! Not only does getting vaccinated protect yourself but it protects others as well. Peoples bodies and build up immunity and diseases like polio can become non existent. The arguments I get a lot too is I have never been vaccinated and I was fine or I know someone who was vaccinated and still got it. But having the mentality that it would never happen to me is foolish and unrealistic. Yes it might not ever happen to you or someone you know but it is the peace of mind of being protected and if it did happen to you it might be too late. Its like life insurance or health insurance. I just want to ask those individuals who opt out of vaccinating this... Could you live with yourself if your child contracted something that ended there life that could have been prevented by getting vaccinated? As an adult we do have the right to say no to vaccinations but your children don't get the option so wouldn't you want to protect them?
No comments:
Post a Comment